[mythtv-users] Any FE to Many PCs - LAN Content Simulcasts withVLC Multicasting

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Dec 22 05:54:52 UTC 2009


----- Original Message ----- 
> MultiCast with VLC:
> This might work, I figure I'd use VLC as the myth media player and set it to
> multicast at the same time using the appropriate
> command line. Then any PC on the network could tune the appropriate
> multicast stream...any pc...and bingo, multicast! Each
> multicast client would need to have enough puff to play the HD streams.
> (This means they need to be higher spec CPU's as can't use
> vdpau) I've tested VLC multicast and it works well out of the box. Now I
> just need to set it up...and test some more.... Anyone
> thought of this, tried this or any comments?


From: "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Any FE to Many PCs - LAN Content Simulcasts withVLC Multicasting
>mythtv is a upnp server
>vlc can act as a upnp client

Seems this is not yet implemented for mortal users such as me!  This seems to be a yet to be solved brick in the wall.

> vlc can act as a multicast server

True, as I said I've had VLC (that is playing a recording (client sound, no server sound) and a compatible DVD (with server and 
client sound)) running, e.g. file://%s :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=239.0.0.0:1234},dst=display} works fine.  That 
is VLC easily multicasts a Recording and DVD successfully.

> solution: find a mechanism to star vlc as a upnp client to the mythbackend, and simultaneously multicast it to your lan.

Seems not an option yet - an alternative would be to use

vlc file://%s :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=239.0.0.0:1234},dst=display} vlc://quit

as the "Recordings" player however I cannot find where to put that to change the recording player, seems that is not (no longer?) an 
option.

I've changed "Internal" in Media Settings->Videos Settings->Player Settings to

vlc file://%s :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=239.0.0.0:1234},dst=display} vlc://quit

however a DVD did not seem to use VLC nor did it stream.  Hmm.  It starts and crashes in a flash (As the player is briefly seen as a 
flash)  May in part be due to DVD menu issues.

> clients do NOT have to be vlc, you could use mplayer as your client and therefore use vdpau.

Great idea, I'd overlooked that.  If I can get a multicast stream (and not get mythtv to play it) then this would probably be a 
better solution.

> also vlc will have vdpau at some point, hopefully.

Seems the initial enthusiasm on this has also stalled.  As you say mplayer may be the best current client option.


What would be even more elegant would be to have the myth backend serve its streams to clients as a multicast stream, then any 
client could pull the media streams, not only the initiating client. I wonder how I'd get that to work? 



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list