[mythtv-users] Uninterruptible Power Supply

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Dec 22 07:03:58 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 1:37 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> This supposedly will give me around 2 hours of runtime at the ~ 100W
> idle I get on my quad core with 4 drives running.. I paid $185 US at
> ebay for the used 1400XL shipped with new batteries. Normally this is
> a $500+ UPS.

That's exactly my point.  You have to go rediculously overboard to get
anything nearing laptop battery life with a UPS.  Had you not gotten an
extremely low price off Ebay, you would be much better served getting a
$50 500-800VA battery, and an entry level generator for $400.  As a
bonus, you wouldn't have to start worrying about the food in your
refrigerator at the end of that two hour battery life.