[mythtv-users] U-verse questions

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:50:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I currently have comcast, which I'm recording clear QAM with an HDHR and
>> SD
>> > from two digital boxes via PVR-250s.
>> >
>> > The U-verse folks came around the other day to tell me it's now
>> available in
>> > the area.  So ... how well can I get this to work with MythTV?
>>
>> This is being discussed here...
>>

>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/413508?search_string=verizon%20fios;#413508
>>

> Well, that's talking about verizon FIOS rather than AT&T u-verse, I don't
> know how much of that applies to both.  There is some talk of firewire
> channel changing there for example, does the u-verse box support that?  I'd
> rather not use an IR blaster if I can help it ... especially as I might have
> two boxes setup next to each other.
>
> There's also talk of using the HDHR  and clear QAM with the FIOS service,
> I'd very much like to know if that's possible with u-verse and also if the
> multiplexs are likely to be useful (i.e. different networks on the same
> multiplex).
>
> There's also the question of how best to handle the installer.  At present
> my backend is in the basement with the cable boxes, the comcast cable modem,
> wireless router and HDHR are in the second bedroom, and the TV with a
> frontend is in the livingroom.  Note there is no television in the basement,
> but I do have a small portable SD TV I can take down there for setup
> purposes.  Should I just have the installer set everything up on the TV and
> move stuff myself later, or send him to the basement and set it up there?
> What kind of input does the STB need?  Co-ax?  Ethernet?

Well, I decided against it and canceled the order. It was a little hard to
find recent information, most of what I did find was on lists for other PC
DVR software and often predated the HD-PVR, but it does seem that there is
definitely not any clear QAM on U-verse.

All in all it just seems easier to stick with comcast where I can get the
best use of my HD HomeRun and be able to use firewire to change channels
instead of an IR blaster when I do upgrade to HD set top boxes.