[mythtv-users] VDPAU and poor ota signal

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Dec 22 17:14:23 UTC 2009

On 22 Dec 2009, at 16:11, Kevin Johnson wrote:

> I am considering upgrading my system to vdpau.  Problem is I sometimes get poor over the air signals.
> Anyone have any experience with this?

I find vdpau is better at dealing with glitchy recordings than most of the software players I have used except vlc and certainly better than the PS3, Sony get lots of crash reports from me! I have problem recordings caused by a multitude of reasons as well as poor signal and vdpau seems to be pretty good at carrying through the problems. It wasn't always very robust but myth 0.22 and nvidia 195 seems pretty good.

>  How does hardware encoding handle errors in the video signal?

It's still mostly software just running on the gpu, there's some custom hardware for aspects of video decode but still lots of software. Nvidia were pretty good at requesting examples of files that crashed vdpau, that seems to have paid off in recent drivers.

Andre