[mythtv-users] Comparison Geforce 8200 vs AMD HD4200

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:00:26 UTC 2009

On 24/12/2009 12:25 AM, Razorblade wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> does anybody of you have experience with the Radeon IGP HD4200 and
> mythtv? I'm interested in HD and SD TV playback, DVDs and (maybe later)
> BluRay playback.
>
> Is the HD4200 currently supported?

Supported by Linux? Maybe (Depending on your kernel version and the like).
Supported by Myth? Only as an XV and (where available) OpenGL card.
Beyond that, there are no acceleration options available from the
driver, and none supported by Myth.

> Is the NVIDIA IGP 8200 (with vdpau) faster and more reliable with Linux
> and mythtv?

Faster and more reliable than what? The HD4200?
Given that vdpau is supported (as opposed to not on the Radeon), and the
maturity of the NVidia drivers under linux, the answer is "yes".

> For some other computer I need a new mainboard with an IGP. And I'm
> thinking about replacing my current, well working, GeForce 8200
> mainboard with a HD 4200 IGP mainboard and the other computer will get
> the 8200 IGP board - but only if there are some benefits with the Radeon
> IGP.

For linux, there is no benefit to the Radeon. The Open-Source driver
barely supports it, and doesn't have many features at all (OpenGL and
compositing are it), and flgrx is very picky as to which kernels it
supports (along with also only having OpenGL and composite).

You would be better off buying another 8200 board (Or one higher up).

> Greetings and merry christmas

And to you.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston