[mythtv-users] Firewire or capture card?

steve networks1 at cox.net
Thu Dec 24 18:02:20 UTC 2009

My existing MythTV setup has crapped out (capture hardware failure) and I am
starting over.  I want to get the new system set up to handle HD, and I'm
trying to decide between doing a firewire connection to the cable box (SA
Explorer 3250HD) and using a capture card.  The firewire option seems
sensible, but I've been looking at the Wiki page on that and it sounds like
a "challenging" setup.  Also the reports on the firewire cards flag a lot of
cases where they don't work, don't support channel changing, don't stream
video properly, etc.  So would I be better off using a dedicated capture
card like the pcHDTV 5500?

Your thoughts appreciated, especially if you have done either option.

TIA.Steve