[mythtv-users] Gentoo users - be careful with nvidia-drivers-190.53

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Thu Dec 24 21:58:51 UTC 2009

I tested nvidia-drivers-190.53 last night and found that any time I
attempted to play a recording, mythfrontend would get stuck at the
"Please Wait" screen. Checking mythfrontend.log showed

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

The problem is that 190.53 has moved libvdpau_nvidia.so from the lib32
or lib64 directory to a "vdpau" subdirectory. The solution in my case
(since I'm running 64-bit) was to do

cd /usr/lib64
ln -s vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so .

If you're running 32-bit gentoo, you should of course make the symlink
in the lib32 directory.

Hope this helps people resolve this issue if they run into it.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,