[mythtv-users] Myth 0.22: What's this mean? NVP(1), Warning: Waited too long for decoder to pause

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 25 04:11:41 UTC 2009

On 12/24/2009 10:19 PM, Rick wrote:
> While watching a recording, I wanted to skip ahead about 1.5 hours so
> I used the 10 minute increment method.  After about the 4th push on
> the remote, I noticed it wasn't responding anymore. Eventually it
> jumped forward (after I waited about 5-10 seconds) and it looked like
> the additional presses on the remote happened all at once.  After
> looking in the frontend log, I noticed a large number of these messages:
>
> 2009-12-24 22:10:26.481 NVP(1), Warning: Waited too long for decoder
> to pause
> 2009-12-24 22:10:26.582 NVP(1), Warning: Waited too long for decoder
> to pause
> 2009-12-24 22:10:26.682 NVP(1), Warning: Waited too long for decoder
> to pause
>
> What does it mean?

I'd guess you have a broken seektable on that recording, so Myth was
doing things the hard way and having a terrible time catching up with
you.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable (making sure
you first repair the database, as mentioned in the section "Preparation")

BTW, /much/ better approaches for skipping 1.5hrs into a recording include:

9 0 INFO
9 0 <
1 3 0 INFO
1 3 0 <

Or, if you're at 5 minutes into the recording:

8 5 Right
1 2 5 Right

Basically, you can use:

  - number_of_minutes INFO to jump to that point in the recording
  - number_of_minutes REWSTICKY (<) to jump to that many minutes from
the beginning of the recording
  - number_of_minutes Right to jump that many minutes forward from the
current point in the recording
  - number_of_minutes FFWDSTICK (>) to jump to that many minutes from
the end of the recording
  - number_of_minutes Left to jump to that many minutes backwards from
the current point in the recording

where number_of_minutes represents minutes for 1 through 99 or for 100
and up represents hours with the last 2 digits representing minutes (so
130 is 1 hour 30 minutes, 999 is 9 hours 99 minutes, 1003 is 10 hours 3
minutes, etc.).  That means that 61-99 overlap with 101 - 139, respectively.

Mike