[mythtv-users] Gentoo users - be careful with nvidia-drivers-190.53

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Fri Dec 25 07:35:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM, MarcT <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:
> In that bug report there is an explanation of the issue by Doug Goldstein.
>
> <-- start copy -->
>
> The VDPAU libraries belong in /usr/lib[32,64]/vdpau. Read the release notes
> by
> NVIDIA for 190.53. Applications should never link directly against
> libvdpau_nvidia.so but it appears some applications are incorrectly doing
> this.
> The ABI has changed to libvdpau_nvidia.so so applications will experience
> problems. Applications should always use libvdpau.so, which provides a
> proper
> abstraction for the specific implementation. x11-libs/libvdpau-0.3 has been
> updated by NVIDIA to use the new paths and as such its properly listed as a
> PDEPEND in the 190.53 ebuilds.
>
> Rather than incorrectly changing the paths back, please say which apps you
> are
> having a problem with so they may be fixed. The big issue that apps will
> have
> is the fact that VDPAU is no longer a mutually exclusive operation and can
> be
> multiplexed with other operations such as OpenGL and even other VDPAU
> instances. This requires apps to use proper locks, which none of them do
> because the locking mechanism is abstracted away inside libvdpau. So using
> VDPAU and OpenGL at the same time for an app that uses libvdpau_nvidia.so
> directly will result in screen corruption.
>
> <-- end copy -->
>
> Judging from this, I believe it's not a bug of the drivers. However, I don't
> know how Myth is accessing the VDPAU capabilities of the nvidia drivers, so
> I'm probably wrong.

I did ldd on all the mythtv executables as well as libmyth*.so and
only found libvdpau.so.1 as a library they load directly. It looks
like libvdpau.so.1 is not correctly loading the libvdpau_nvidia.so
from /usr/lib64/vdpau. I changed my workaround - instead of creating
the symlink, I added a file /etc/env.d/99libvdpau with the contents

LDPATH="/usr/lib64/vdpau"

and reran env-update. That seems to also solve the problem.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,