[mythtv-users] HD PVR and 0.22

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 26 01:20:56 UTC 2009

steve wrote:

> I’m doing a rebuild of MythTV in order to handle HD and would like to
> use the Hauppauge HD PVR as the capture device because it seems to get
> around all the encoding/multi-resolution nonsense.
>
> So I read up on it in the Wiki
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR). There is a warning at
> the bottom to avoid trying this unless you’re a MythTV/Linux wizard,
> which I am not.
>
> However, it implies (though it does not say directly) that it will be
> safe for us mere mortals as of MythTV ver 0.22. The download page says
> that version is now out. So am I safe to proceed with my plans?
>
> TIA…Steve

I waited until 0.22 came out before I hooked up my HD-PVR. As long as
your kernel is up to 2.6.30 (I believe that's the level), the HD-PVR
will be recognized. The driver is in the kernel as of that version. All
I did was hook my HD-PVR up, did the Mythbuntu upgrade to 9.10, re-ran
mythtv-setup to add it, and it was recognized. Its worked flawlessly
ever since.

I'd say proceed away. But, as others have always mentioned, backup your
database first, just to be safe.

Hope that helps.
Harry