[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 06:22:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 12/24/2009 10:46 PM, David L wrote:
>>
>> I hadn't done that, so I tried it.  That didn't seem to help either.
>> I tried rescanning the channels, then re-editing the channels,
>> and then re-running "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all".  The
>> channels still have the wrong name and wrong program info.
>>

> If that's the case (wrong name/numbers), your best bet is the video sources
> portion of http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

Thanks for the response Michael.  I read that thread... there is a
broken link in the thread.   I tried starting from scratch, but it
didn't seem to help (although perhaps if I followed the directions
in the broken link, it would have helped).  However, if I delete
all capture cards and start from scratch, I've had some success
if I use the channel editor to edit the channel number and the xmltv id
BEFORE running mythfilldatabase for the first time after starting from
scratch.  Once I've run mythfilldatabase once, the channel editor
seems to have no effect wrt program guide data.  So far, I've only
tried on a single channel because it's a time intensive process watching
each channel trying to figure out what channel it really is.  So I've started
on a random channel which happened to be history channel international
(HISI).  HISI shows up as channel 276 in my schedules direct lineup,
but it shows up as channel 13 after scanning (at least some of the time,
I've seen the Discovery channel change from 14 to 15 in two consecutive
scans, so I don't know wtf is going on).  If I use the channel editor
for channel 13 to change the channel number to 276 and the xmltv id to
18822 (the xmltv id for HISI) and then run mythfilldatabase, the program
guide for channel 276 is correct.  If I change the order and do the
mythfilldatabase first and edit the channel second and then try another
mythfilldatabase, I can't get the correct channel guide data for HISI.  So
I think I have a process for getting things working although I've yet to try
it on all 70+ channels I receive.  Quite a pain in the ass though.

I'll follow up with more updates as I learn more.  If this problem rings
a bell for anybody and they know how to solve it without manually
editing every channel before running mythfilldatabase for the firs t
time, let me know and perhaps I can save a day of my xmas break!

Thanks...

                   David