[mythtv-users] This hardware look ok for HD setup?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 26 22:55:55 UTC 2009

On Saturday 26 December 2009 02:17:24 pm steve wrote:
> As indicated in a couple of earlier posts, I am rebuilding my MythTV setup
> to handle HD.  This will require a new host box, and the MythTV-relevant
> hardware I'm planning for it is:
>

> Processor:  Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3 gHz)
>
> Memory: 4 Gb DDR2
>
> Vid card:  GeForce 7900GT 512 MB PCI Express x16
>
> Disk:  Western Digital 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb/Sec
>
> Capture device: Hauppauge HD PVR
>

> If anyone sees that I've made any  sub-optimal (or otherwise bad) decisions
> here, please let me know.

You should mention how you plan to use the hardware, combo front/backend, B/E
only, F/E only?

Anything playing back video should be VDPAU-capable, which the 7900 is not. If
this is a B/E only the video hardware doesn't matter.

CPU and RAM are probably too much, unless you plan to do some other tasks
requiring a lot of horsepower.

You will want a separate spindle for the OS, database and Myth itself, even
something like a 40GB drive would be adequate, unless you plan to netboot or
boot from a flash device. Keep your video storage separate from everything
else.