[mythtv-users] How to compile Myth TV (R. G. Newbury)

William M. Sorgenfrei w_m_sorg at msn.com
Sun Dec 27 17:56:43 UTC 2009

Geoff,

Thank you for your detailed response:
I am running open SUSE 11.2 with kernel 2.6.31.5-0.1-default x86_64.
I have never built from scratch and am using this as a learning exercise.
I will read your links and try again.

Regards,
WS

> Hello all,
>
> I am taking another stab at getting mythtv going. After a kernel upgrade
> I have lost everything and starting from scratch. This time around I
> want to compile and build myself.
>
> The docs instruct me to issue the following to compile:
>
> Make ?j 2
>
> Obviously, this is not enough. Is there a makefile somewhere what is the
> exact command I should issue to get things going?

You have not stated what distribution you are using which makes it
difficult to provide specific advice.

And you have not described what exact step you are at. Nor your
knowledge level respecting the build process.

If you have just done a complete re-install of a system, you may be
missing the required development environment. And your question 'what is
the exact command I should issue' leads me to infer that you may not
understand very much about this process.

There are 2 pages on the Mythtv wiki which deal with parts of this.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dependencies_(Building_from_source)

has some directions for installing the required build dependencies under
Ubuntu and Fedora. Both of these are a little out of date, but useful
for you to read to understand what is needed. The commands listed will
work with different versions of those distros, although some package
names will have changed.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora

describes the full process of downloading the latest trunk code from svn
and how to 'configure, make, make install' the code. The process is
basically exactly the same on any other distribution, provided that the
required dependencies are installed.

That is, however, the harder route and only recommended if you really
feel the need to build your own. Quite recent builds are available
through public repositories and require only a line or two to get the
same thing, albeit maybe the code is a week old.

Under Fedora, you can 'yum install yum-utils', then
'yum-builddep mythtv'
with either of the atrpms or the rpmfusion repos enabled, and all the
dependencies of myth will be installed.
Then a 'yum install mythtv' will complete the process. (Fast internet
connection required, go make yourself a coffee while downloading!!).

The only real difference is that when you build your own, you can
install it exactly where you want (/usr/local/) instead of where the
package is designed to install itself.

Geoff