[mythtv-users] New Myth setup - questions about storage.

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 00:13:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My backend runs 6  750GB SATA drives for storage, configued as 3  1.5TB raid
>> 0 arrays, since I'm most concerned with maximizing storage space. I have run
>
> This doesn't make any since to me. Mythtv doesn't need the extra
> throughput, and with storage groups you still get all the storage
> space. So by running RAID0 all you have gained is double the
> likelihood of loosing your recordings.

I Agree. With mythtv there is no good reason for using raid 0. I was
just typing the same when gmail told me that someone added a message
to the thread.

I would also add that using LVM to connect a bunch of non raid drives
together is also not a good thing to do. There is no need for
everything to be in 1 filesystem. Much better to let mythtv handle
this with storage groups.

John