[mythtv-users] DVD ISOs

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 29 14:40:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:49:46AM -0500, Chris Ribe wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > As I said brasero rips it correctly
> > And Vlc plays it correctly
> >
> > It has 99 titles on the dvd and title 20 is the one that plays from the dvd
> > menu
> >
> > Handbrake cli will rip it correctly, either via a brasero iso or directly,
> > but a programatic brasero-style rip followed by handbrakecli would be the
> > ideal for my usecase all things considered

> > Please excuse brevity and mistakes, this email was composed on a mobile
> > phone.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Richard Morton
> >

> > On 28 Dec 2009 20:09, "jedi" <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:47:31PM -0500, Johnny wrote: > > thanks for the
> > quick replies; here is wh...
> >    If you have a DVD that is "broken" as a means of copy protection then
> > you will just have to get a Windows program to decrypt the disk and work
> > from there. Some of the newer schemes will generate some really bizarre
> > results if you just try to play the main title normally or read the table
> > of contents.
> >

> Richard,
>   I've been struggling with the same problem as you for the last couple
> months, and I'm afraid to say I don't have any good answers.  I'd like my
> DVD collection to live in MythVideo instead of on my shelf, but there
> doesn't seem to be a satisfactory way to make it happen.
>
> Before I go any further, I should address the previous posters:
>
> Travis: Yes, we did try dd, and it does care that they did something
> screwy.  Based on my limited understanding, this is the situation: DVD
> drives have error correction code at the firmware level that prevent them
> from passing on the contents of corrupt sectors to the host.  Commercial
> video DVDs can be pressed with intentionally corrupted sectors that will
> never be encountered during the normal playback of a DVD, but which will
> thwart attempts to dd the disc.
>
> belcampo:  Thanks for the suggestion, but cat doesn't do anything that dd
> can't.
>
> Johnny: I am talking about discs that the MythTV internal DVD player can
> playback without a problem.  Not only can I play these discs back through
> the internal player, I can also rip them using HandBrake or DVD::Rip or a
> number of other tools that have been built to transcode DVDs.   What I *can
> not* figure out how to do is rip an ISO.  I don't want to transcode my
> DVDs.  I have an abundance of storage space and a shortage of time.  I don't
> want to sit around waiting for my DVDs to rip.  I want it to happen at
> roughly the same speed it would take to copy 9GB from a DVD-ROM to my hard
> drive.

...then just rip the relevant titles and don't bother compressing them.

Various Linux media players will handle these just fine. I don't think that
that MythTV internal player does though. Although it's a pretty simple thing
to use an external player for mythvideo.

   mplayer has a dumpstream option that will extract the relevant stream files
and this will work on the vast majority of disks. Although there are still a
few "copy protected" disks that will give Linux tools fits. Disney and Sony
seem to be the biggest problems in terms of "broken" disks.

[deletia]