[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Dec 29 15:50:44 UTC 2009

Ben Woodhouse wrote:
> I've been using MythTV since 0.15 and in that time I've seen some fairly major changes. However, until now, the good has always outweighed the bad when upgrading to a new version. With 0.22 I find this is no longer the case.
>
> Starting with the UI. I realise the UI code has undergone some major changes, and I'm sure this resulted in a cleaner code base, but it's a shame more care wasn't taken to maintain usability. It seems a number of arbitrary decisions have been made with the design which break existing functionality.
>
> List box behavior seems to be completely broken now. List boxes inexplicably change focus when you reach the end, so if I'm scrolling to the end of a list of articles in mythnews, the focus will switch back to the news sources list instead of just stopping at the end. Now I have to carefully scroll down, making sure I don't go past the last entry, otherwise I'll have to scroll down all over again. I don't understand the reasoning for this change. If I'd wanted to switch to the left hand list box, I could simply press left.
>
> Probably related to this, if I scroll all the way to the right in the browser, the UI will switch focus to some pointless control above the browser window. There must be a better way to do this.
>
> As others have noted (here for example : http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-November/270659.html), the right button on the recordings menu no longer works. The menu is now inaccessable on my remote. I could reconfigure it, but I don't want to use a less accessible button to access one of the most commonly used menus, just because I might be using a theme which supports horizontal scrolling (I'm not and I don't intend to).
>
> There's no delete recordings view, which would be fine, except there's no way to see how much space there is left, or change the sort order (unless that's now in the hidden menu I can no longer access)
>
> Memory use is astronomical on all the themes I've tried (mythbuntu, blue abstract, mythcentre wide, graphite), and mythfrontend seems to leak memory like a sieve, even when it's just idling. I've seen it peak at around 3GB at times. Restarting the frontend fixes it temorarily, but it always becomes unusable again after a day or so. My 1GB system just isn't sufficient any more, as a workaround I'm planning to upgrade to 4GB, but I really shouldn't need to do that for an lightweight SD-only media box.
>
> When skipping forwards/back through a recording, it pauses for a long time between skips when the button is held down, so skipping forward through a show takes a very long time. This is probably caused by the fact that it's playing the video between iterations, which didn't happen in 0.21

> [...]
Something needs to be said here...
It easy to sit back and criticize someone's work. I have been following
the progress Mythtv has been making, and there's a lot of work being
done by about 10 principle developers...
I have been involved in many projects in my life,but have left a few do
to this kind of reaction....It's open source...If you don't like
something fix it if you have the skills,if not sit back and wait..
Submit bug reports if you must,but don't moan and groan about something
that is costing you nothing...