[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 16:11:44 UTC 2009

> Something needs to be said here...
> It easy to sit back and criticize someone's work. I have been following
> the progress Mythtv has been making, and there's a lot of work being
> done by about 10 principle developers...
> I have been involved in many projects in my life,but have left a few do
> to this kind of reaction....It's open source...If you don't like
> something fix it if you have the skills,if not sit back and wait..
> Submit bug reports if you must,but don't moan and groan about something
> that is costing you nothing...

I guess it is a tricky line to tread, and one that different people will see
differently.

At one end of the spectrum, there was someone a few weeks back who wrapped
their post in "<rant>" tags, and I would suggest that this is not the best
way to get the time-limited devs on your side.  ;-)

However, at the other end of the spectrum, if something isn't working well
for someone, then I think this list is *exactly the right place* to air
these concerns - who knows, a dev may have implemented a feature which they
feel is useful for their personal usage however many of the user base may
agree that it does not work for them, and this may be enough to get it
changed.

Where exactly the OP's post fits on this spectrum, I'll let you decide,
however I've reread the post twice and can't really see the reaction here.

My fear would be (and I am not saying that this is happening on this list)
if people get too scared to raise issues they are having because they have
seen too many "don't moan and groan about something that is costing you
nothing" responses.  I remember reading so many flaming posts on the
Hibernate forums that as a newbie I was too scared to post my question, and
this surely can't be good for the project as a whole.

HTH,

MG