[mythtv-users] DVD ISOs

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Dec 29 16:36:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Charles Wright <cpwright at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> > ...then just rip the relevant titles and don't bother compressing them.
> One of the nice things about an ISO rip is that it preserves all of
> the menus, etc.  I don't think other tools would do that.

Personally, I despise most of the menus. I've switched to using makeMKV for
testing and it's working very well. It's not OSS, and it's GUI based, though
I think it has CLI options, but it works well. It even rips the various
audio streams and subtitles into the MKV. If you want the menus, I agree,
it's not what you want though. 99% of the time, I want to watch the movie, I
rarely watch the features and such. I know other people like them more than
I do though. You could rip them into separate files and just not have the
menu I suppose.

When I was going to ISO, I used DVDDecrypter on Windows. Not ideal for a
Myth user, but I have a Windows box sitting around on the network and all of
my media comes from a server that's accessible via SMB as well.