[mythtv-users] Ubuntu dependencies

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 16:56:30 UTC 2009

> Thanks for all, I just added the Avenard's repository and works great, I
> installed "mythtv" and "mythtv-backend-master" packages, are they enough?
>
> I don't want to install Mythbuntu yet because I have well configured XBMC
> and my father use every hour. MythTV will repleace XBMC, I need thoose
> requisites on a HTPC:

Mythbuntu is *not* a separate distribution in the pure sense. It is
just a couple of packages that help you setup mythtv. They issue an
install disk that does create a customized version of Ubuntu. But you
can easily use Mythbuntu on top of a regular Ubuntu installation
without affecting anything that you already have setup. Just install
mythbuntu-control-centre.

sudo aptitude install mythbuntu-control-centre. Then open that up and
it will help you pull in the right packages by simply checking off
what role you want for this system (e.g. master backend, frontend,
etc). It uses apt in the background so everything will work fine. It
can also help you get a default setup for a remote. If you want you
can tell it to add in the Mythbuntu artwork etc. I highly recommend
using Mythbuntu Control Centre to get you MythTV system up and
running. This is how I set up my systems. I usually install Ubuntu
first and get things how I want and then I use Mythbuntu Control
Centre to add MythTV and get it setup initially.

Also I use Boxee and XBMC sometimes. I just added buttons to my mythtv
menu to launch then and it works great. I wanted my buttons under the
media library menu, so I just copied the library.xml file from my menu
theme (/usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/library.xml) over to my
~/.mythtv directory. Now the file in ~/.mythtv overrides the original
one in the theme. Then I added the following entries to it.

 <button>
     <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
     <text>Hulu</text>
     <action>EXEC huludesktop %F</action>
   </button>

   <button>
     <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
     <text>Boxee</text>
     <action>EXEC /opt/boxee/run-boxee-desktop</action>
   </button>

   <button>
     <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
     <text>XBMC</text>