[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend crashes with no error after upgrade.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 29 19:25:01 UTC 2009

On 12/29/2009 12:16 PM, Jeremy Young wrote:
>>> I upgraded to .22 just this weekend, and was hit with a strange
>>> situation. I've been fighting it for a couple days now. When I
>>> initially upgraded, both the BE and FE complained of being unable to
>>> connect to the database, despite all my efforts to provide them with
>>> the proper login information. I discovered this:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooting:Mythbackend_will_not_start_after_upgrade
>>>

>>> and searched for multiple mysql.txt files, but found only one in my
>>> user/.mythtv directory. I think my issue was separate from that one.
>>> Despite this I upgraded mysql and recreated the mythtv user in mysql,
>>> this seems to have gotten at least the backend to run. It still seems
>>> quite touchy about connecting to the database though.
>>>
>>> However, now the FE crashes with no explanation. It will go to the
>>> base color screen for the theme that is selected, and then it drops
>>> me to X immediately. I get about 1 second of mythfrontend running,
>>> and then nothing. I can't find anything in the FE logs that explains
>>> why this would be. Is there some other release note/issue that might
>>> be causing this? The front-end worked fine on Wednesday, and nothing
>>> except myth and mysql were upgraded. I can provide logs if necessary
>>> (but honestly I couldn't find anything in it that indicated trouble).
>>>
>> Some how I managed to select Boise, ID as the time zone for the front
>> end and  Denver, CO for the backend. My front end refused to run and
>> exhibited the same behavior as you describe. (Flash of frontend, dump
>> to X). Even though these two cities are in the Mountain Time zone,
>> Myth apparently does not recognize this. So Boise on both or Denver on both
>> seems to have fixed the problem.
>>
> I'm not sure where to fix the time-zone issue.

You don't have a time zone issue.

>  Mythtv-setup doesn't have any place to specify time zone, and all the config files I've familiarized myself with have no place where it is specified.

You don't specify the time zone in Myth apps--it's specified on the
system/environment.  Yours is the same on both processes, so it's not an
issue.

> Here's my FE log: http://tinyurl.com/y9zhxdg
> Here's the BE log for the same time: http://tinyurl.com/y8hvk3q
>
> I don't see anything in them that even indicates why the FE is crashing. There doesn't seem to be any error at all that is a problem. These were both done on verbose level 'most'

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/399371#399371 ,
perhaps (even if not ATI).  Or, you have some 0.21-fixes plugin
(MythStream?) on your system and it's crashing the frontend.

It would be a lot easier to see what's happening without all the garbage
in the logs (i.e. without -v all or -v most or whatever you used).

Mike