[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Dec 29 21:51:17 UTC 2009

    > Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:55:33 -0800 (PST)
    > From: Daniel Born <born_daniel at yahoo.com>

    > I bought the Gigabyte GT220 card which comes with a large but quiet fan. It does actually take up two slots (out of a total of 3 on Mobo).

I tried the same card but sent it back---even though the fan wasn't
exactly a screamer, I could still hear it in the next room with the
computer case closed.  Maybe I could have tried a fan speed controller
on it (or just chopped it down to 7V in a couple of different ways),
but I didn't have time to screw around with it at the time before
the RMA period expired.  If you're sensitive to small-fan noise
(e.g., high pitch), be careful.  I'm going to wait for a fanless,
since I hope to get by with an 8400 for now (SD only), if I can
properly configure it.

And yes, it's pretty thick.  I'd hoped it wouldn't take up the adjacent
slot the way the passives tend to, but no dice---it was in a PCIe slot
and there wasn't enough clearance to put a PCI card in the slot next
to it.  (I meant to measure its width before returning it, but didn't
get around to it; no doubt the measurements are online somewhere.)

[And is it just every motherboard -I've- ever seen, or a general
feature of PCI/PCIe card layout, that all these nvidia cards seem to
have their heatsinks/fans on the -bottom- of the card?  I don't recall
now whether the fan tried to suck air up (marginal) or blow it back
down (even worse), but it seemed suboptimal from a thermal standpoint.
Flipping the component side of PCI(e) cards and/or laying the motherboard
out different so the component side is up seems like a better idea.)