[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Dec 29 22:20:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>> In other words, the code works as designed /and/ as required.
>>>
>>> Is it really too much to ask that people configure their systems
>>> properly?
>>>

>> It doesn't seem like it should need to be that way, though.
>>
>> Naively, if I were designing the system from scratch, I'd have the
>> backend deal exclusively in UTC and have the frontends do time
>> conversion when necessary for display purposes.
>
> Thus my comment in the linked post

I think the point I was trying to make is people's systems are not
incorrectly configured.  MythTV has a bug/design flaw that doesn't
allow it to work properly in some situations.

Now, it may very well be true that fixing it is just too much work to
justify the small gain, but when someone points it out, the response
should be "Sorry, we don't support that.", not "Is it really too much
to ask that people configure their systems properly?".

That's all I was trying to say.

Eric