[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 29 22:30:25 UTC 2009

On 12/29/2009 05:20 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

>>> It doesn't seem like it should need to be that way, though.
>>>
>>> Naively, if I were designing the system from scratch, I'd have the
>>> backend deal exclusively in UTC and have the frontends do time
>>> conversion when necessary for display purposes.
>>>
>> Thus my comment in the linked post
>>
> I think the point I was trying to make is people's systems are not
> incorrectly configured.  MythTV has a bug/design flaw that doesn't
> allow it to work properly in some situations.

How is a system configured with the wrong time zone not incorrectly
configured?

I fully admit that ideally MythTV would be able to handle it and the
only effect of a misconfigured time zone would be improper display of
local times for recordings, etc.

That said, if my system is in New York City, I *should* set the time
zone to America/New_York (and not EST or EST5EDT or America/Indianapolis
or ...)--otherwise, the local time reported by my system will not be
correct.  Therefore, if I fail to set the time zone correctly on my
system, my system is misconfigured.

> Now, it may very well be true that fixing it is just too much work to
> justify the small gain, but when someone points it out, the response
> should be "Sorry, we don't support that.", not "Is it really too much
> to ask that people configure their systems properly?".
>
> That's all I was trying to say.

I still say their systems are misconfigured.

Mike