[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 29 22:52:03 UTC 2009

On 12/29/2009 05:41 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 17:30 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> That said, if my system
>>
> Which system?  FE or BE?

The one that Eric claimed wasn't misconfigured.

>> is in New York City, I *should* set the time
>> zone to America/New_York (and not EST or EST5EDT or America/Indianapolis
>> or ...)--otherwise, the local time reported by my system will not be
>> correct.  Therefore, if I fail to set the time zone correctly on my
>> system, my system is misconfigured.
>>
> What if my BE is in New York and properly configured and my FE is in
> Seattle and properly configured?  Does Mythtv consider that incorrectly
> configured?

I consider the systems properly configured, but whether the MythTV is
properly configured depends on the license agreement you have with your
cable or satellite provider (or, potentially the broadcast agreement for
OTA channels).

> Don't discount it.  I used to work for a telco that (more than 7 years
> ago, and the time reference is just to speculate that it's probably an
> order of magnitude or more greater now) used to sell 10Mb/s "ethernet"
> across the province (hundreds if not a thousand or more KM, so the idea
> of a few more hundred KMs into a different timezone are not outlandish).

When I get the first report of a user actually doing this--and doing so
without violating a service agreement from his/her cable/satellite
company--I'll explain to that user how to configure the system so MythTV
works (i.e. what I mentioned in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/415093#415093 ).

And, really, I've already explained how to do that on the list before.
I'm simply choosing not to repeat it here so that users will configure
their systems properly rather than take the approach that's only proper
if the systems are, in fact, across time zone boundaries.

Mike