[mythtv-users] Broadcom CrystalHD??

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 00:58:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>>> Are we going to see support for this hardware based decoder chip in
>>> MythTV?
>>> I haven't dabbled in it, but it sure appears that XBMC has started using
>>> it:
>>>

>>> http://dingleberry.me/2009/11/compile-xbmc-with-broadcom-crystalhd-support-o
>>> n-linux/
>>>
>>> And they are enjoying 1080p playback on a measly 1 GHz processor (that I
>>> believe is seriously nerfed...).
>>

>> http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/broadcom-crystal-hd-its-magic/
>>
>> game on :)
>

> Great news!

Some still won't like this bit:

"Note: The binary firmware files included in the source archive
continue to be covered under Broadcom's standard software license
agreement and are not distributed either under the GPL or LGPL."

source http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/

(Not that I subscribe to RMS's view that binary firmware is a no-no)