[mythtv-users] Broadcom CrystalHD??

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Dec 30 01:34:27 UTC 2009

>http://dingleberry.me/2009/11/compile-xbmc-with-broadcom-crystalhd-support-o
>  >>> n-linux/

>>>  http://xbmc.org/davilla/2009/12/29/broadcom-crystal-hd-its-magic/
>>>
>>>  game on :)
>>

>>  Great news!
>
>Some still won't like this bit:
>
>"Note: The binary firmware files included in the source archive
>continue to be covered under Broadcom's standard software license
>agreement and are not distributed either under the GPL or LGPL."
>
>source http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/

Too bad, then they don't get to play and can proceed to tilt at
windmills. That the above means is the firmware is not covered by
GPL/LGPL. It's closed source but can be distributed with the above
source code.

In case anyone does not "get it" yet. This is the best it gets with
open source code mixed with closed source IP.