[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 02:38:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The right button / i button switch is probably an unfortunate but
>> necessary change (to allow horizontal scrolling menus). I have had the
>> i button mapped forever, but perhaps thats cos my mce remote has one.
>> People will get used to it.
>
> I keep seeing this, but from what I understand I think this is too
> narrow. It wasn't just for horizontal scrolling menus. It is because
> the theme doesn't just have a single (or double) vertical list like
> the old UI did. It could have other widgets, menus, etc to the right
> of your recordings, or your recordings may be on the left and
> everything else is on the right. The point is themers are free to put
> widgets list etc in any order or arrangement they like on the screen.
> So binding the right arrow to a menu would hamper the ability to
> navigate in such a system. The suggestion to allow a themer to bind a
> right movement to a menu seems like a valuable option. But confusing
> usability with "what I am used to" is a false notion. The new freedom
> of the MythUI can actually greatly improve the usability but it is up
> to the theme writer to make that happen.

Very well distilled, thank you.

As an aside, none of us writing themes are UI experts/professionals.
We all endeavour to walk the balance between what we like and (if we
publish the theme) what others will like.  You don't need any coding
experience whatsoever to write a theme, you just need time, so the
barrier to entry is very low indeed.  If you feel that the usability
under the new UI is suffering, *please* take matters into your own
hands and make it behave as you think it should-- no C++ required.

Robert