[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR Blaster Guide

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 02:47:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM, greg pryzby <greg at pryzby.org> wrote:
> On 12/29/2009 08:34 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM, John Welch<jrw3319 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Well, that would be a bummer.  I actually looked a little closer at
>>> the box I am trying now and the model is a DCH3200, not a DCT3200.  I
>>> don't see any mention on the codeset page of any DCH models, so maybe
>>> it is too new or something.  I think these are pretty standard boxes
>>> for Comcast cable, though, at least in my area.  I think I may have on
>>> other older box that I can try, although it will take some juggling
>>> around.
>>>
>>> If there are any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>>
>> Something else worth mentioning is that the emitter range is
>> *extremely* short on the HD-PVR transmitter, as reported here.  As in,
>> a few millimeters.  So if there's any chance you had the emitter too
>> far from or misoriented in relation to the actual IR eye, that might
>> be worth checking in to.  Some other folks have occasionally been
>> *absolutely sure* they had it in front of the eye, only to find it was
>> elsewhere.
>
> that would be me :)
>
> take a flash light and look into the window to figure out where the IR
> receiver on the box is. I taped the emitter right over the receiver. FWIW,
> it is the side the 'paper' (covering the tape) that is placed on the STB
> window (of course, but I have learned to never assume when it comes to this
> stuff).
>
> --

Thanks guys.  This could very well be at least part of my problem.
With the first cable box I was testing I am fairly sure that I had the
emitter right over the receiver, but on the 2nd box that I'm currently
testing with (the newer DCH3200) I'm actually having a hard time
locating the receiver.  I've already tried the flashlight thing that
you suggested, but it's still not obvious to me where the receiver is
located.

I guess I have some more testing to do.  Maybe the 3rd box, if I can
manage to relocate it, will be the charm.

Thanks again,
John