[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR Blaster Guide

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Dec 30 03:56:14 UTC 2009

    Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:47:28 -0500
    From: John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com>

    > locating the receiver.  I've already tried the flashlight thing that
    > you suggested, but it's still not obvious to me where the receiver is
    > located.

You have -something- (a remote?) that can make the receiver do
something, right?  First, ensure that it can command the box.

I'd now suggest binary search.  Get something like a piece of wood or
cardboard or metal or whatever and cover the entire front.  Ensure the
remote does NOT work.  Now you know your obstacle is opaque to IR.

Now cover only the left half of the device.  Remote works?
Receiver's in the right half.  Ditto top half/bottom half/whatever.

Repeat until Zeno arrives with his extremely small piece of bread.