[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Dec 30 06:24:20 UTC 2009

    > Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:00:10 -0500
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > All this notwithstanding the upstream bandwidth limitations at home, let
    > alone the "shared by the entire hotel, including a ton of
    > bandwidth-abusive guests" Internet connection provided by the hotel.  In
    > other words, the airplane you rode to the West Coast has a /lot/ more
    > bandwidth than the hotel (so load up your recordings on the hard drive
    > before you leave--I've been doing that for years, now).

Works great, unless you (a) like local sports, (b) don't want to wait
to watch whatever-it-was until you get home, and (c) whatever-it-is
doesn't air where you are.  Then you -can't- preload the data.

(Also, not everyone lives in the US.  Some of those people have
-considerable- upstream bandwidth, as do US residents who don't get
their networking from residential ISPs.  And not everyone is going
to be trying to watch TV from a hotel---or maybe not from a US hotel.
Even back in the 90's, I saw some remarkable connectivity from some
non-US hotels.)

But remember, this isn't my use case.  (I don't watch sports, for
starters. :)  I was tossing it out as a hypothetical.  Since then,
you've heard from some people who have -real- use cases where it
matters to them.  I was just trying to point out that there -are-
cases, whether you want to hear about them or not, where one might
plausibly want both ends to be in different timezones and you are
-not- "stealing content".

I don't really care about timezones & Myth (though I can see why some
might).  I -do- care about daylight savings and Myth (though you don't
see why I do).  We'll see if I or someone else comes up with some UTC
patches & then we can see how well they work.  Until then, I'm bowing
out here.