[mythtv-users] epia m10000 and xvmc out of the box?

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:05:38 UTC 2009

Hi Nick,

Install Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Mythbuntu as standard; install myth frontend

here is the pertinent section of my build notes

XFCE OSD for volume causes and is not required ue to teh mythosd
apt-get remove notify-osd
however update notifications requires this so will also be removed;
updating myth regularly doesnt seem to be desired as it can break
things; people update on their own schedule not the reease schedule -
so it isn't a major issue that update notifications are removed as
well.

Removed pulseaudio as it is a CPU hog and not required on a single
soundcard system. With pulseaudio the sound hiccups briefly and
multiple times (20+ times) per 1hour show.

I had to update the /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file to libXvMCVIAPro.so.1 (for
the SP13000 MB). add the myth user into the mythtv group.
restartX/reboot

OSD Hack
Without this hack, not only does the On Screen Display show as
greyscale, but it will frequently cause the system to crash and
sometimes lock completely. Add the following lines to the Device
section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

create a xorg.conf and copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo service gdm stop
login
sudo xorg -configure
sudo service gdm start

sudo cp ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

edit xorg.conf and add
Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"