[mythtv-users] Subject: New MythTV setup and HDTV

steve networks1 at cox.net
Wed Dec 30 13:58:59 UTC 2009

Alex,  I am doing the same and have researched it for about a week and a
half (and gotten very helpful suggestions from people on this list) .  To
echo Johnny's suggestion I am going to go with the Hauppauge HD-PVR.  Then
you can use whatever service you want and get all the channels, as long as
they provide a box with component video out.

 It is apparently so effective that some cable/satellite companies are
lobbing for regulations that will allow them to shut off the component
output on their boxes in some circumstances.  God forbid that you should be
able to actually, y'know, use the signals you pay $50/mo for.

Some possible drawbacks are that the things are currently backordered until
at least the middle of January.  Also I read one review that said the box is
cheaply made, and that they've recently added a fan to deal with overheating
problems that's not a very good/quiet fan.  We'll see I suppose.

Steve