[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 30 23:10:05 UTC 2009

On Dec 30, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:

>> So as Scott said, just in case anyone missed it in the other thread, we just got a late $holiday present:
>>
>> http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/
>>

> As we seem to be moving from vaporware to somehing usable I wonder, where would I buy one (or 3 for that matter) of these things? I understand that they are listed at ebay from various chinese sources, however does anyone have a particular source they recommend?

I saw logicsupply.com offering them for sale, but they were a bit on the expensive side[*]. I have three different card variants, two that came straight from Broadcom (newer variant mini pcie and pcie x1), and one older mini pcie variant I got via eBay from a seller in Hong Kong (three of them, actually). The older mini pcie has slightly higher power draw than the new one, but all three cards perform more or less the same, save a udelay after a register write that is absolutely required with the newer mini pcie variant to keep the thing from stalling out (but unneeded on either of the other two variants).

> I figure they could potentially be available from HP as a spare for the 110 netbook, anyone have a parts number?

I poked around the hp web site a bit to see if I could find it, but failed. I also called up Dell to see if I could order one of their "Broadcom BD Accelerator" cards, which is also just a crystalhd card, but nobody at Dell had a clue how to order one stand-alone.

[*] http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970012 for $70. Looks to be the newer variant of the card.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com