[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 31 06:03:46 UTC 2009

On Dec 30, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:

> Jarod,
>
> Is this something you see that could happen for .23?  Or we we much further out than that?

If someone else more familiar with the MythTV video output code can jump on it, maybe. I need to get up to speed on that code still, and have a pile of other things I'm working on right now (mostly revolving around hopefully finally getting lirc kernel drivers into the kernel proper). So if I'm doing the work, I wouldn't expect it to make 0.23.

> Just want to get an idea.  Also how does this compare to VDPAU?  Better? Worse?  Same?

As Byron said, it'll use a bit more cpu, as we have to move buffers around from the crystalhd decoder to your video card, whereas with vdpau, your video card *is* the decoder, so the device-to-device buffer moving penalty doesn't exist, but a meager 1GHz system can still handle 1080p h.264 with one of these, and the video quality is fantastic, right on par with vdpau when done right (more on that in a sec). It can be used with any video output card, assuming you have a slot to put the decoder in, but the end result display quality is still going to hinge a bit on your video output card. I've played back *excellent* looking video in a system using the nouveau driver for an nVidia card, and in a system with the intel driver and Intel X3100 graphics (using !mythtv, obviously), but ymmv...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com