[mythtv-users] Card sharing

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Thu Dec 31 10:43:45 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
> freedenizen wrote:
>
>>  > Please read the link.
>>>
>>>  "Discussion of any topics that may be considered illegal or
>>>  questionably legal in any of the areas that MythTV developers and/or
>>>  users reside (especially the United States as the mailing lists are
>>>  hosted in the United States) is prohibited.
>> <snip>
>>>  Important thing to note is that it *doesn't matter* if it's legal
>>>  where you are, it's that it's illegal where the MythTV devs, who
>>>  absorb liability for the actions of this project, reside.
>>>
>>>  You don't have to like it, but the least you can do when you are
>>>  getting the software for free and not paying project legal bills is
>>>  respect the rules.
>>

>> Actually the rules state if it is illegal where any user resides not
>> to discuss it either, so I guess we shut the whole thing down.  I
>> understand the purpose of the rules, but its implementation is a bit
>> draconian.  Basically anything the devs aren't interested themselves
>> in doing and could be questionable somewhere isn't allowed.  We
>> discuss playing back DVDs even though there are countries where
>> playing back dvds in linux may be on questionable legal ground, or
>> what about making disk images of DVDs, the MPAA sure doesn't like
>> that, or ripping CDs, it is possible someone in some country that uses
>> myth could be charged with a crime.
>
> Indeed, in the UK, I think the only (TV/video related) function in
> Myth that **IS** completely lawful is watching live tv. We do not have
> the "fair use" provisions in copyright law that the US has, so even
> time-shifting TV is not actually lawful but it's accepted it's going
> to happen and it's not practical to try and stop it. Keeping
> recordings for more than a short time falls outside of simple
> timeshifting. Yes, you can buy those nice shiny commercially made
> PVRs, and they are even officially condoned (cf Freeview+ as a logo) -
> but they aren't actually completely legal to use !
>
> Ripping DVDs is most definitely not lawful (yet we have a thread
> running on doing it right now), even watching them on a Linux box is a
> problem (unlicenced use) - both are illegal in the US as well (unless
> someone can cite a ruling that the DMCA does NOT apply to unlicenced
> watching of DVDs using an unlicenced decoder).
>
> There's also discussions on hooking up analogue inputs and using IR to
> control a satellite or cable box - also unlawful over here as it would
> break the terms of the service and therefore be unlicenced copying. In
> that respect, there is ZERO difference between hooking up an analogue
> capture to the providers box, and using the same viewing card in
> hardware that will allow direct capture.
>
> Perhaps fairly well related to the OPs query - there seems to be no
> qualms about discussing the capture of free to view stuff from cable
> (several threads recently in view of the recent analogue-digital
> switchover) or satellite. But someone comes along and asks about
> [...]
At the risk of getting my head bitten off in the process, I have to
agree with Simon's assessment of the situation on the list here... If we
take that rule literal as it is written, it will probably be illegal to
discuss MythTV at all, as I am certain every aspect of MythTV is
(potentially) illegal *somewhere* in the world!

--FP