[mythtv-users] Card sharing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 31 11:46:15 UTC 2009

On 12/31/2009 06:36 AM, Johan Heikkilä wrote:
> 2009/12/31 Richard Morton:
>
>> CardSharing == illegal - not permitted on this list (quite rightly in
>> my view as this is out and out theft whereas with the other topics the
>> user _should_ have purchased the media).
> I want to correct the wrongly made statement above. In my opinion it
> is not theft to share your own _purchased_ subscription card between
> several televisions or several PCI cards in your own house (except for
> maybe the types of cards that are mated to the hardware). There are
> even devices sold in Europe to enable this (sharing a CAM and a card
> between several televisions in the same house). Using a softcam is the
> perfect way to share the same subscription card between several PCI
> cards in the same Mythtv backend. I haven't seen anything indicating
> that it would be illegal to use your own subscription cards for any
> device that you own. It would be stupid to buy a CAM and subscription
> card for each PCI card. For other types of usage that you probably are
> thinking about, of course it is possible to use any device illegally
> for people with such a desire. However, as stated above, this has
> nothing to do specifically with MythTV and does not need software
> support in MythTV in any way.

Remember that there are also subscription agreements/terms of
service/contracts involved, too.  For example, since the only European
provider I know of is Sky,
http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytv/terms says:

Multiroom subscription: £10 pm. Provides the same Sky TV channels as
your main Sky TV subscription on a box in another room. You must
subscribe to Sky TV throughout and an extra box is required for each
Multiroom subscription. Each box you have must be connected to the same
fixed telephone line at all times. To receive your HD subscription
channels in another room, you'll need another Sky+HD box and HD Pack
subscription.

We do /not/ allow discussion of breaking ToS, either.

Seriously, just take your discussion elsewhere.

Mike