[mythtv-users] Some what OT: Universal remote

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:03:52 UTC 2009

Hello all,

As the subject says, it's really not a MythTV question, but more of a
hardware question.

My remote control devices have become unmanageable.  Since I started
using S/PDIF on my main front end it's added another remote to be used
with the entertainment unit.

Currently have a Rosewill usb remote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101002&cm_re=ir_receiver_usb-_-80-101-002-_-Product

Works fine with my Zotac and M350 case, but I need to control two other units.

My setup -
Panasonic PT-53WX53 rear projection TV
Sony STR-K660P audio receiver
MythTV front end

I believe the the Rosewill IR/USB remote is RC6 compliant.

I don't know much about IR devices, and if these other two are RC6
compliant or proprietary.

Does anybody have suggestions about a universal remote that can be
programed to control all these devices?

I really only need to be able to power on/off the Panasonic TV.  A
button to control the video inputs would be nice in case I ever attach
other devices to it.  The Sony audio only really needs power on/off
and volume.  And the Myth front end really only needs the MCE buttons
to navigate.

I know Logitech has some pretty expensive remotes that might work.
Would like cheaper options.

Hopefully somebody in this group can shed some light.

Thanks