[mythtv-users] Help me find the magic combo (remote/lirc)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Dec 31 15:08:14 UTC 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Jan Johansson wrote:

>> Doing It Wrong then. :)
>
> Doin' it wrong since 2009! .. my new slogan :)
>
> No, but seriously, any idea why I cannot get mode2/irw to work with
> anything else then /dev/lircd

Because as I said before, /dev/lircd is the *daemon* socket. Its a completely different thing from /dev/lirc[0-9]. You're only starting one daemon, so you only have one socket. irw talks to the daemon socket, not the device. Now, mode2 (and irrecord) should talk directly to the character devices (/dev/lirc[0-9]), by simply giving them the right options with the right access permissions and *with lircd not running*.

> mythtv at MythBox:/etc/udev/rules.d$ sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc0
> [sudo] password for mythtv:
> mode2: could not open /dev/lirc0
> mode2: default_init(): Device or resource busy

You're getting the busy message because lircd is running. Stop lircd, and this will work.

> mythtv at MythBox:/etc/udev/rules.d$ irw /dev/lirc0
> connect: Permission denied
> mythtv at MythBox:/etc/udev/rules.d$ sudo irw /dev/lirc0
> connect: Connection refused

irw connects to the daemon socket, /dev/lircd. 'irw /dev/lircd' with lircd running is the ticket here.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com