[mythtv-users] Card sharing

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:18:58 UTC 2009

2009/12/31 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:

> Remember that there are also subscription agreements/terms of
> service/contracts involved, too.  For example, since the only European
> provider I know of is Sky,
> http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/skytv/terms says:
>
> Multiroom subscription: £10 pm. Provides the same Sky TV channels as your
> main Sky TV subscription on a box in another room. You must subscribe to Sky
> TV throughout and an extra box is required for each Multiroom subscription.
> Each box you have must be connected to the same fixed telephone line at all
> times. To receive your HD subscription channels in another room, you'll need
> another Sky+HD box and HD Pack subscription.

Yes, I know about different ToS. Some companies seem to have some
really draconian ToS and stupid protection in their devices. A car
analogy (a la slashdot): What if car makers forced people wanting to
drive through different states or countries to buy several cars, a car
for each state/country, by having inbuilt GPS protection in the cars
preventing them from driving across borders? That's exactly how those
companies make their hardware (and their money). But if people need it
(or are stupid?) enough, they will buy it. Interesting...