[mythtv-users] MythTV for TiVo converts

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 21:07:34 UTC 2009

OK, I'm just about to go live with my MythTV box, replacing my old
Series 2 TiVo box.  I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions/wiki
pages/blogs about helpful tips for converting my family from what they
are used to (the Series 2 TiVo) to what I hope they will grow to love
(the MythTV box).

I've already noticed one difference...

When I press ESC to exit out of viewing a program, and then come back
into it later, it starts back at the beginning, rather than where I
left off.  This is very different than the TiVo experience, where they
could go to the main menu, watch something else, and then pick up
where they left off on the original program.

Perhaps pressing ESC isn't the typical "MythTV" way to exit out of
watching a program.

I'm pretty sure I saw a menu item somewhere to change this behavior.

Regardless, it's different than the TiVo, and I'm wondering if other
folks have had a similar experience going from a TiVo to a MythTV, and
how they have coped/adapted to it (or helped their families cope/adapt
to it).

Are there other differences I might want to be prepared to address?

I'm not looking for "Why the MythTV is better than the TiVo"
answers... I'm looking for answers to "what can I expect them to find
to be different and how can I ease their transition to MythTV?"

Thanks...

--wpd