[mythtv-users] DirecTV D12-700 & directv.pl

Alan Bryant alan at coastalbendnetworks.com
Thu Dec 31 21:54:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Frank Merrill <fmerrill1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Alan Bryant
> <alan at coastalbendnetworks.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I have a MythTV network at my house that I have been using mainly for
> > sharing movies hosted on the backend to remote frontends.
> > I have two DirecTV receivers hooked up to my backend via two PVR-150's.
> The
> > model #'s are D12-100 & D12-700.
> > I can change channels on the D12-100 receiver via directv.pl on the
> command
> > line (haven't tried in MythTV), but the D12-700 times out no matter what
> > command is sent. I have both of them hooked up via identical pl2303
> chipset
> > serial 2 usb adapters with a null modem adapter in between. Again, the
> hook
> > up is identical and the D12-100 works with no issues.
> >
> > Alan R. Bryant
> >

> What happens if you swap the 2 cables at the receivers? Does the
> problem follow the cable?
> What happens if you swap the 2 Serial-to-USB adapters, does the
> problem follow the adapter?
> What about swapping the 2 USB cables at the computer? (basicaly
> swapping the USB ports)
> Does the D12-700 uses the same command set as the D12-100?
>
> I have no direct experience, just trying to see what you may have
> tried (or not).
>
> Frank

I really thought I tried swapping everything, but I apparently did not.

I swapped the entire cable set at the receivers and both of them now work.
I'm not necessarily convinced that it was the cables as opposed to maybe
just re-initializing the ports on the receivers maybe?

Whatever it was, we now know D12-700 receivers do work.

Thank you very much for the help and the quick reply.