[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Dec 31 22:31:46 UTC 2009

Ben Woodhouse <ben32768 at yahoo.com> says:
> Perhaps, but no more so than any other button. Does it make any more
> sense that in the majority of themes, pressing RIGHT on a recording
> moves moves the selection left?

That only happens on Watch Recordings, and only if the cursor bar is
on the right-hand pane. In other words, it behaves there the way the
cursor behaves everywhere else; it's just that on other screens there
are more than two places that LEFT/RIGHT can go.

> I'm not just being a luddite for the sake of it. The main issue for
> me is it requires an extra button, and there simply isn't covenient
> one available on my remote. From what I can gather, I'm not alone in
> this.

No, you're not. You're missing the context, though.

MythTV has, for bad-UI-design reasons, used two menus on Watch
Recordings for a long time. Without some way around the requirement,
two menus require two menu buttons, in this case MENU and
DETAILS. Until 0.21 RIGHT was bound to DETAILS, so people didn't have
to find a second "menu" button on their remotes. 0.22 eliminated this
crutch (but don't think that it was not a crutch in the first place)
but worsened the bad UI decision by not otherwise relieving the need
for a second "menu" remote buttons, causing the current mess.

Once again: The solution isn't to return to the pre-0.22 status quo of
using RIGHT as a second-menu button only on that particular
MythFrontend page and no other. If nothing else, it would simply redo
a longstanding UI-design mistake. The solution is to either use
another button (like SELECT, as David Engel has suggested), or have
the MENU button enable reaching both menus. The latter solution is
available today via a patch and one of the solutions will be
incorporated into the source code at some point. Any other solution,
such as Ron Frazier's work, is also going to require a patch too, so
why not go with the one that doesn't require changing every 0.22
MythTV theme?

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array