[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 31 23:47:05 UTC 2009

On Thursday 31 December 2009 04:07:33 pm Scott D. Davilla wrote:

> >You could use the Mini-PCI to USB adapter mentioned here yesterday, I
> > suppose.
>
> LOL, you can forget about those. CrystalHD is pumping over 100MB/sec
> over mini-pcie when decoding 1080p. That's mega-bytes, not mega-bits
> so even if the USB adapter worked, it will throttle throughput like
> crazy.

I never thought the mini to USB was a good idea, it's nice to have a valid
reason for thinking so.

I just hate to toss those old AGP motherboards. Most of them that I have have
reasonably fast CPUs, some dual-core (FX-60s), and I can't use the CPUs, the
AGP cards or the RAM in newer mobos. Socket 939 mobos with PCIExpress are not
common items these days.

I guess the planned obsolescence worked.

But I have some thin clients with mini-pcie, and Intel graphics, it will be
nice to be able to use them as HD display devices.