[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 01:08:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com>wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/ant2zz
>
> At least they are giving settop boxes away... for now.  Who knows if
> they will add a lease to your bill afterwards.
>
> I'm not happy about this since I depend on analog cable and QAM for my
> feeds.  Didn't I read somewhere on this list that it _could_ be
> against the law to do this? Something about local free channels... or
> something...

The rule is that if they carry _any_ analog channels then they have to carry
_all_ of the OTA channels in analog. However, if they switch completely to
digital then they can take the OTA to digital also. I believe that if they
do so they are required to provide the set top boxes to all of their analog
customers, to allow them to continue receiving the OTA channels. There is
good information on the FAQ here at the government site:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq25