[mythtv-users] MythTV UPnP and Popcorn Hour

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Sun Feb 1 04:56:51 UTC 2009

      Greetings all.

      I am back to MythTV after stepping away for a couple of years.
I've resurrected my old frontend as a backend server running MythDora
10.21.  It's not strictly a backend, I configured it to have a frontend
as well.  This was a clean install.

      I have Mythtv recording HD content OTA.  I even managed to get an
ISO image of Phantom Menace that I ripped with AnyDVD to play.

      I am trying to get my Myth box to serve up content to my PopCorn
Hour using UPnP.  The PH can see the Myth box using UPnP.  It can browse
the files.  However, when I try to play a recording, the PH times out.
When I try to play the ISO image, the PH complains about not being able
fulfill the request.  As far as UPnP devices, it's just the MythTV box
and the Popcorn Hour.

      Exporting the /storage directory using Samba and mounting the
volume on the PH, I can play all of these files no problem.

      I ran the backend with debugging turned on, hoping to see
something obvious, but no go.  I'm not all that familiar with UPnP,
other than what I've read on Wikipedia.  Couldn't figure out what was(or
wasn't) going on.  I even have a tcpdump capture.  They are rather
large, so I opted not to post them right now.  ;)

      Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look to get this
setup going?  Anybody have any ideas?

      Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin