[mythtv-users] plasma panels, hdmi and mythtv

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 12:07:44 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have only been playing with mythtv for about a month now. I built a
frontend based on the Asus M3N78-EM baord have have managed to successfully
get audio and video out through hdmi.

A home theater receiver sits between the frontend and the Samsung plasma
that I own that it 1080P. I am not sure now if using HDMI is the best choice
though.
When switching between different sources, the TV seems to prefer to overscan
the signal. I can fix this though by going into the menu and telling it to
rescan, but it always switches back after turning on/off and going to other
sources etc.

Tonight, I thought I would try with a SVGA cable. The samsung reports
correctly to the computer that it is 1920x1080 at 60Hz and to me, I actually
think the image looks better. Would I be imagining it? The big advantage
though is that the plasma scans the signal correctly and gives me the full
picture...

Now my next question relates to my location. I live in Australia and our
broadcasts are at 50Hz. I have not been able to find a way to get my plasma
panel to switch to 50Hz when connected to the PC via SVGA or via HDMI. My
plasma panel is a Sumsung PS50A650. The Nvidia control panel only allows me
to select 50Hz in SVGA and over HDMI, I can select 50Hz, but the panel never
syncs at this frequency....

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers

Phil

--
Tel: 0400 466 952