[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Sun Feb 1 18:22:55 UTC 2009

On Sunday 01 February 2009 1:07:45 pm Allen Edwards wrote:
> I would assume the same thing that you did but when the required house
> power of the graphics chip started to go way up I decided to collect
> some numbers.  I am just trying to open up this discussion to some
> data.  If my data is wrong, that would be great.  It is the best data
> I could find.
>
> If the 8600 graphics chip draws 40 watts more than a 8400 chip as
> Tom's Hardware's numbers suggest it is going to be very difficult to
> make that up.  I would also assume that you can make a fine myth
> system with a 45 watt dual core processor without vdpau.
>
> If vdpau worked with a 8400, that would be a different story but
> apparently is doesn't.

Strangely enough, I'm running a 8400gs in my production system with vdpau.
Works just fine - it can't do the nicest deinterlacers with 1080i sources, but
it does bob2x (which looks *much* nicer than the software bob2x with Xv)
perfectly well at 1080i, and all the deinterlacers work at lower source
resolutions.

Isaac