[mythtv-users] Is this a bug in Mythbackend? Was: Backend crash with malloc(): memory corruption (fast)

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 22:50:05 UTC 2009

>>> Yes, I ran memtest and besides, all the research I did says this is a
>>> programming error message, not bad memory.  It is generated by C upon
>>> its detecting some memory allocation error, like trying to access
>>> memory that has been released.  It does sound like a message for bad
>>> memory but it apparently has nothing to do with that.  The program
>>> shut down, the system didn't crash.  All signs point to it being a bug
>>> as far as I can tell.
>>>
>>> Allen
>
> Wow, that is much worse than what I am seeing.  I have only had two of
> these in 5 months.  Please let me know if you
> make any progress on this.  It isn't high priority with me right now
> but sounds like you will be solving it soon.

I was seeing this error message (and noticing corresponding mythbackend crashes) around 5-10 times a day.  I have reduced this to about 1 crash every 2 days by disabling commercial flagging on the backend (and enabling it on a slave backend).  This certainly reduced the amount of output in the log (damaged over-the-air MPEG streams and various decoding errors related to h.264).  I don't know for sure if this is what actually "improved" the backend crashing situation, but it did substantially reduce the amount of stuff being logged by the master backend.