[mythtv-users] frontend error messages prebuffer wait timed out

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 2 17:43:45 UTC 2009

On 02/02/2009 12:12 AM, Phil Wild wrote:
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>> 2009-02-02 02:19:15.891 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
>>>
>>> until the hard drive is full (which is in no time at all as I am booting
>>> from a USB stick)
>>>
>>> I am going to buy another usb stick today and start again with a fresh
>>> install.
>> Ahhh...  That issue.  If it gets /stuck/ in the loop that says "LiveTV
>> forcing JumpTo 1" and continues until it fills the disk or until
>> mythfrontend is killed, that's a whole different problem from a simple
>> prebuffering pause.  (I didn't get that it was infinitely more copies of
>> that last JumpTo message from your first post.)
>>
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4974#comment:4 , which says to try the
>> patches on http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3618 to see if they help.
>>  (And, that would mean the first 2 patches for sure, Shane Shrybman or
>> Daniel K. would have to let you know if you should also--or instead--use the
>> 3rd patch.)
> I guess I am building from source then rather than using the mythbuntu
> binaries...
>
> I can't help but wonder if it is related to upgrading alsa or something as I
> expect other would have the issue...
>
> I will try the clean install first and see if it lasts a while without audio
> and step through the process before going the source route....
>
> Question for you.... If I switch to source, will I need to do front and
> backend or just front?

First, when installing from source, there's no supported way to install
just the frontend or just the backend, so from that perspective, both.
Generally, though, if you replace the packages, replace the whole set of
packages--mythtv (mythfrontend/mythbackend/mythtv-setup), mythplugins
(including MythWeb), myththemes, themes.

Your best bet when switching from packages to source install is to
uninstall all the mythtv-related packages completely and then install
from source.  Going from a source install back to packages is /much/
more difficult, though.  So, switching from packages to source may
result in a /lot/ of work for you over time (and, for what?  LiveTV?).

You can, though, wait a bit and stick with the packages to see if you
can find others having the JumpTo issue (perhaps a new thread with
"LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1" in the subject) and if any of them are
building from source, have them test out those patches.

Or, your best bet, stick with the packages and don't use
Waste-Your-LifeTV, er, I mean LiveTV.  Have Myth record everything you
may possibly want to watch and watch the recordings.  You can watch
recordings in progress (that's how I watched the bowl game for which I'm
not licensed to use its name last night).  And, by having Myth record
the bowl game (rather than watching it through LiveTV), I was able to
start watching it when I (and the food) was ready.

For news, set up rules to record every episode and have it keep a
maximum of 1 episode and watch it on your schedule.

For weather/breaking news/... have Myth start recording a bunch of news
channels and flip between them with JUMPPREV/PREVCHAN.  It's better than
channel surfing in LiveTV (as there's absolutely no tuning delay).  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/156423#156423 for an
example (but leave off channel callsign if you want stuff from all
channels).

I firmly believe that people who use LiveTV just haven't figured out the
new possibilities that a system like Myth brings--and, I know that it's
possible you may understand them, but your family doesn't, but they
might enjoy it more if you help teach them.  :)

Mike