[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

james meyer james.meyer at operamail.com
Mon Feb 2 20:13:54 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 09:24 -0700, Brian Phillips wrote:
> > My idea is this:
> > 1) When myth is installed, the user is asked if they would like to opt-in
> > a "hardware survey".
> > 2) After a specific time frame has passed (eg 100 hours recorded and/or
> > watched), if the user has selected to opt-in to the program, the myth
system
> > will "phone home" to a database and provide a hardware listing.
>
> I've thought about this before. Programmers at hardware makers have told
> me they could probably spend more time on Linux if they could show their
> bosses some solid numbers for the number of folks using Linux with their
> hardware. This would need to be broached with the other developers and
> in here and I would need to find the time to actually write the code for
> it. I'll follow this thread and see what people's opinions are.
>
> The important points from a user perspective is that it would be opt-in,
> only aggregate data would be reported, and the callback server would be
> under a server under *.mythtv.org, so it would ultimately be under
> Isaac's control. PS I would get user approval immediately before a
> "phone home", otherwise someone might forget that they opted in and
> get needlessly upset.
>
> -- Daniel
Perhaps something like http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/  would fit the bill?
There is already a myth plugin  that can submit smolt data.   For the client
the 3 main requirments are python,hal and dbus.

Setting up a smoon server is pretty straight forward, in fact there is one
already setup collecting data for knoppmyth.

-james